27 days ago
Who Are We?
giffgaff is a little different to your ‘normal’ telecoms company. It’s a mobile business owned by Telefonica, but run by its customers - our members. Sounds interesting? It is.
We want people to love what they do and love what giffgaff is all about. It’s important to feel that way, especially in this energetic and competitive market. We’re a spirited and disruptive bunch at giffgaff, not every now and then, but everyday, yes, even on Monday mornings. Each and every person, who comes and works at giffgaff, must believe that we are a David amongst Goliaths in Mobile-land. And much like David, we are successfully making a positive change.
Software engineering is at the heart of what we do here at giffgaff. Our agile engineering teams build and support a wide variety of applications and services. These combine to create our unique user experience on the giffgaff website, enable a whole range of awesome features via modern APIs and, additionally, enable our internal teams to work in the most productive and efficient ways..
The quality and maintainability of our software is very important for us, we are looking for engineers with real-world experience of building and running contemporary software, especially in terms of the whole development lifecycle. You will help us to design and implement tightly focussed APIs, user interfaces, services that internalise our core business logic or internal tools and, together with your team, you will support them in production. We want you to share your opinions on how we are doing things - and help us get better!
At giffgaff we have empowered, autonomous teams that make their own decisions on implementation. We work closely with other teams across all disciplines and foster a learning environment where pairing and knowledge-sharing are actively encouraged. A candidate for this role should be collaborative and curious about finding the best solution or technology possible. They should be open to expanding their expertise beyond their existing skills in order to become a full-stack engineer that is on top of technology trends and best practices.
Our engineers manage the whole pipeline of a change, from speaking to non-technical business stakeholders to delivery to testing it and monitoring. This way, everyone understanding why we do what we do, not just how, and then how it performs once it’s in production.
We are looking for individuals with positive and collaborate mindset. The type of person who, when confronted with a problem, gets creative ideas and inspiration instead of fixating on the problem itself. We are at a stage where there is a great opportunity to re-architect the giffgaff infrastructure and create a modern environment that can keep up with our growth. Are you up for the challenge?
● CSS with SASS/SCSS
● Familiarity with Testing frameworks like Jest, Cypress
● Familiarity with Git
● Extreme Programming / Kaban & Scrum
Our Tech Stack
● On the Server-Side: Java 8 with AspectJ & Maven, Spring Framework including AOP, Boot, Cloud, JDBC, MVC, Security. Relational databases such as PostgreSQL, Oracle & Amazon RDS. Message brokers including ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ or Amazon SNS/SQS. PHP with Zend.
● Continuous Integration with Jenkins, Test-Driven Development with Chai, JUnit, Karma, Mocha, & Sinon, Behaviour-Driven Development with Cucumber / Protractor, Agile Software Development and practical experience of Extreme Programming, Kanban & Scrum
● Candidates with any of the following skills will be strongly preferred: Amazon Web Services, Docker, Kubernetes, Hazelcast, Hystrix, OpenShift, Redis, Zuul
The Nuts & Bolts
● Love delivering a wow to our members
● Ability to communicate clearly at all levels of our organisation
● Curiosity & Creativity
● Excellent attention to detail
● Organised, self motivated and accountable for own workload
● A strong team player
● Fun to be with and work with
This is a chance to work for one of the most sought after UK companies, highly regarded for its community model. In return for your outstanding efforts, you’ll be rewarded with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We believe that hard work should be supported and recognised. This position plays an important role across the business, allowing you to work cross functionality, take on more responsibility and gain experience, which will greatly benefit you in the future.