5 months ago
Smart Business, Research Manager (106100)
: Research and Development
: UK & Ireland-United Kingdom-Suffolk-Ipswich
Salary : Competitive
: Jul 22, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
Opening date: 23/6/2019
Closing date: 22/7/2019
Our Applied Research team work at the forefront of technological innovation, not only powering BT but transforming the world. In our labs we develop and test the latest technologies which will be a vital part of the future digital services consumed by millions of individuals and by global businesses.
This role is an exciting opportunity within our Internet of Things (IoT/Smart Business) research area where you will apply your world-class technical skills and expertise to shape the ‘Future Smart Infrastructure’ which will underpin the digital transformation of industries, organisations and individuals.
You will have a passion for innovation. Working on key technical challenges, developing prototypes and trailing emerging cloud and edge-based IoT technologies in real-world environments.
Collaboration will be key. You will enjoy engaging with colleagues, industrial partners and universities to identify the best solutions to problems and to drive business value from your research work.
What you'll be doing
* Leading and managing one or more related research projects and activities comprising of matrixed resources both inside and outside BT, including university students and vendors.
* Domain expert responsible for maintaining expertise in a specific technical domain.
* Responsible for intellectual property creation, managing patent filing in their team and supporting IPR exploitation where appropriate
* Accountable for defining and performing research in a specific domain (i.e. Smart Business) or area that is typically unknown, complex, high impact and high value across multiple domains.
* Responsible for authoring thought leadership technical papers, capturing intellectual property
* Supervision of professionals, graduates and post-graduate student placements and secondments.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
Strong evidence of at least three of:
* A minimum of 1 year of software development experience in an IoT-related application area involving at least two of: Java, Python, Matlab, MySQL, dash-boarding, containers, micro-services, orchestration and application bursting
* 2 or more years’ experience working with of one or more key IoT networks technologies, such as: IoT platforms, 5G slicing for IoT, LoRa, NB-IoT, LPWAN
* 1 or more years’ experience of applying data analytics techniques such as Linear regression, Bates classification and Random Forest Classifiers
* A significant track record of high-quality academic publications and/or patent development with at least 10 peer-reviewed publications and/or 2 patents
* Experience of leading IoT projects, preferably in a collaborative funding context (e.g. H2020 or innovateUK projects).
We also need:
* Technical domain expert: Deep technical or domain expertise.
* Qualifications: Strong academic record in technology specialism with post-graduate qualification(s) (PhD or equivalent research experience).
* Expert communicator: An aptitude for presenting to peers, managers and customers regarding their research and area of technical expertise
* Experienced in open innovation: Skilled in patenting, technical publications, conference presentations etc.
* Story-telling with data: strong skills in building the case for change, drawing on data and analytical techniques where appropriate, and communicating this to business audiences.
* Concept Evaluation: ability to spot relevant innovations, horizon scanning, determine relevance for the business, develop an effective conceptualisation and build trials to test the concept.