10 months ago
Senior Systems Administrator
giffgaff is a little different to your ‘normal’ telecoms company. It’s a mobile business owned by Telefonica, but is run by its members. Sounds interesting? It is.
We want people to love what they do and love what giffgaff is all about. It’s important to feel that way, especially in this energetic and competitive market. The folk at giffgaff are a spirited and disruptive bunch, not every now and then, but every day, yes, even on Monday mornings! Each and every person, who comes and works at giffgaff must believe that we are a David amongst Goliaths in Mobile-land. And much like David, we are successfully making a positive change.
We are looking for someone with cat-like curiosity and dog-like tenacity to take manage, maintain and improve giffgaff`s internal IT. We want you to be collaborative and innovative, bringing not just sound IT practices and exceptional troubleshooting skills, but also new ideas about how we can do things.
You will be passionate about IT, people and automation, as well as being creative in your approach to delivering great service and stability. You’ll assist the Head of IT in delivering new projects and driving adoption of technologies and security best-practices.
This is a hands-on role (no hiding in a server room!) and demands core troubleshooting skills, knowledge of IT best practices and the ability to communicate at all levels within the wider business as well as delivering the IT service.
You need to be proactive and must want to be successful. giffgaff is an amazing business if you really want to take responsibility and grow as the business grows. The business was set up as a community-centred business and you will get great rewards if you take the initiative, work with the teams and seize the opportunity. Conversely if you like being in a comfort zone or some level of repetition then this role is not for you.
Reporting to the Head of IT, you will be responsible for managing and maintaining the existing infrastructure, working on new IT projects and assisting with the service desk.
* Work in an IT team that are positive and go above and beyond to help their co-workers and make themselves available as a priority
* Build a holistic IT environment that aligns with giffgaff’s plans for growth and delicately balances security and user experience
* Work with the Head of IT to develop plans that support the teams and their strategies going forward, including undertaking process reviews as required.
* Collaborate closely across the whole business to ensure giffgaff meet and maintain, any compliance or regulatory requirements
* Work on automating mundane and repetitive tasks to free up time to work on the good stuff
* Assist with the procurement of hardware and software across the business.
* Actively research and evaluate new technologies to provide the business with the tools to improve productivity, user experience or keep us safe.
* Help move us further towards a cloud-first strategy
* Continue to improve the user experience for giffgaffer’s using our systems and technology
* Pro-active, gritty, management of our Cyber Security vulnerabilities
* Maintenance of the existing infrastructure
* Management of the backups. Including regular testing
* Increase the efficiency of workstation and server deployments through automation
* Assist with procurement of new software/hardware and renewals
* Manage our Starters/Leavers process to ensure compliance with PCI &GDPR
* On-going evaluation of systems and tools aligned to business needs
* Being a trusted, responsible and well-informed member of the IT team ready to assist giffgaffers at all times
Personality and Values
* Mutuality. It’s what giffgaff is built on. You need to lead by example by being approachable, open and communicate easily across all levels of the business.
* Collaborative. IT touch every part of the business, so you need to be able to work with people, plan together and pro-actively seek out the right people within giffgaff to make things happen.
* Curious. You need to know your IT from the ground up and be keen to continue learning. Which means knowing how the infrastructure ties together, where our strengths and weaknesses are and working to improve both all the time.
* Gritty. Sometimes you’ve just got to knuckle down and get stuff done. We need someone who we can rely on when the going gets tough. Someone with a level head and an ability to troubleshoot the big and small things.
* Positive. It’s important that you instill a positivity in your team. Challenge what we can and can’t do. Look to the future for new technologies or new ways to improve the IT systems, the user experience or giffgaff as a whole.
* Be a subject-matter expert. Not just in your team but across the business. You need to be able to make decisions yourself but also know when to get a consensus.
* Accountability. You need to be available and be able to take responsibility. For the IT systems and processes. For the business, ensuring that not only do things ‘just work’, but that IT is easier, better, more efficient and that the business is safe and secure.
Skills and Experience
* Proven experience in a similar IT role
* Windows desktop and server administration
* Mac OS administration
* Basic understanding of PCI DSS and GDPR
* Experience of ITIL and Agile methodologies.
* Experience in design, implementation, analysis and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications.
* Ability to implement and maintain a cycle of continual improvement through feedback, reporting, KPIs and retrospectives
* Management of 3rd party suppliers and renewals
* Accreditations or hands-on experience with the following technologies:
* Microsoft Server and Desktop technologies
* Networking Fundamentals
* (Preferred) Basic knowledge of either Python or PowerShell