4 months ago
• A Senior Data Analyst in our Head Offices in Swindon.
• £30,506 - £44,065 a year on a permanent contract.
For more information on this opportunity, please contact Paul Todd (Hiring Manager) or Tracey Buckley (Resourcing Consultant). Please send in your application by 31st December, 2018.
We’re moving forward into the next chapter of our Society’s history with a refreshed strategy that allows us to leverage the benefits of mutuality and adapt to the ever-changing needs of our members. Data underpins this and all five of our cornerstones and is a great enabler towards achieving our ambition of building society, nationwide. We’re transforming the way we collect, look after and use member and business data, and that is why we’re creating new roles as important step in strengthening the data competence we need to realise the opportunity that data presents for our members and colleagues.
The Data & Analytics community is responsible for transforming our data and analytics capability to enable our colleagues to better serve our members’ needs. Within the community, the Data and Analytics Solutions team is responsible for the design, engineering, test and deployment of our data platforms and solutions which are at the core of our strategic ambitions. We’re significantly expanding and strengthening our inhouse teams and working closely with key strategic partners to deliver our strategic ambitions.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen to join the Data Labs team as a Senior Data Analyst ensuring our labs capability is set up for success. This is a new capability supporting the wider Data & Analytics Community to deliver data solutions for the business in an agile, flexible, fast paced approach utilising our Big Data platform. You will join a small team of 5 data engineering experts ensuring delivery of value-add use cases for the society utilising a number of Big Data technologies.
This role will focus on getting value from our data lake which currently resides on our Hadoop / Teradata big data appliance, setting up an enduring in-house data lab engineering capability and helping drive the onwards data strategy.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and building an in-house capability, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with key stakeholders from across the business, working alongside industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
Who we're looking for
• A proven track record in writing SQL code to a high standard and with a good understanding of database concepts
• Experience in working within a data warehouse environment. This could have been gained in any company or business sector
• An inquisitive, analytical and data driven mind, ensuring we get the best value from each use-case
• As part of the D&A solutions team you will have the attributes to excel in a dynamic, delivery focused environment where agreed deadlines are adhered to
• Abilty to translate business problems into technical solutions that are logical, efficient and sufficiently tested
• You’ll need to be passionate about learning new technologies and becoming a technical expert within our Big Data environment, ensuring that the data you provide is accurate and understood
It would be nice if you also had:
• Experience of Unix shell scripting, Hadoop, Teradata or Open Source tooling (Python, R) but not essential as full training will be provided
• Experience of stakeholder and/or project management, alongside requirements analysis would also be beneficial
What you'll be doing
As part of the Data & Analytics Solutions team, you will have a key role in supporting the delivery of our data labs capability including data provision, quality and validation.
As a Senior data analyst of the data labs team, you will have responsibility for aspects of Nationwide’s data solutions, focusing on the sourcing, preparation and surfacing of data, primarily from our Hadoop/Teradata environments, to support the in-house Data Scientists to evaluate the potential value from a series of business hypotheses.
Key accountabilities will be to: -
• Support data lab processes to ensure that our data solutions are cutting-edge, efficient and effective meet the business need
• Conform to our agreed governance and change control standards
• Support the change within data and analytical solutions by supporting both the requirements of business users and the long-term vision for in-house improvements
• Support the Data Lab Manager with the delivery of activities with other business areas to provide them with data management solutions by ensuring that effective relationships are built
• Utilise your desire for technical understanding as you will be required to develop your data capability in many Big Data technologies