3 months ago
Principle Systems Engineer
* Principle Systems Engineer
* Saga Services Ltd
* 13/07/2018 22:59
Salary Up To
Job Description Summary
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential
This role is an important part of the IT team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the CHMC function of the business
You will have expertise in the development of insurance claims handling software solutions in addition to Oracle certifications for JAVA application and web services development.
You will bring demonstrable experience of successfully leading teams of developers working on enterprise grade JAVA web applications. You will have exceptional attention to detail, a continuous eye for improvement and the ability to architect solutions to complex technical challenges.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs
Demonstrable experience in the development of enterprise grade insurance claims applications.
Expertise in J2EE Enterprise application architecture.
Demonstrable experience leading a team of developers delivering enterprise grade applications.
Expertise in Spring Core, Spring Batch, JPA, Hibernate.
Exceptional understanding of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (or later) including relational database design and normalization.
Demonstrable experience working with an “Agile” software delivery environment.
Experience modelling using UML.
Successful engagement with end users and product owners to drive out requirements and solutions.
Managing change in a corporate environment.
* In partnership with your line manager, provide day to day management of a small team of Systems Consultants (both permanent and temporary).
* Create software development best practice documentation to support the core claims system (1Insurer).
* Administer system development lifecycle (SDL) tools and facilities relevant to CHMC (with a view to continuous improvement).
* Provide regular progress reports to your manager. Assist project managers in determining team availability and scheduled commitment to projects (whilst this role is not aimed specifically at project management, the job holder is responsible for ensuring good SDL tools and behaviours are employed to manage state and priority of work).
* Provide coaching and mentoring to more junior roles (helping determine personal development plans for permanent systems consultants).
* Adhere to Company and Departmental standards.
* Ability to present business and technical concepts to both technical and non-technical groups.
* Capture/definition of requirements for program fixes and system enhancements (systems analysis).
* Hands on development of application / interface changes as required.
* Programming to be in relevant languages as appropriate. Unit testing, system testing and user training to be undertaken, including assistance during user acceptance testing.
* Assist in the provision of estimates for fixes/enhancements as requested by IT Management.
* Ensure that all work undertaken has been correctly documented with appropriate authorisations in place before putting the fix/enhancement forward for application to the ‘production’ environment – A solid adherence to prevailing Change Management methods.
* Any other duties requested by Management.
* Degree level qualification in Computer Science or related disciplines.
* Oracle Certified JAVA Developer.
* Certification in web services development.
* Relevant programming skills. Knowledge of programming and database technologies; XML, Database technologies, JAVA.
* Understanding of development best practice in terms of coding standards, security, accessibility and usability
* Expert level application and database design skills.
* Able to write well-structured and commented programs.
* Ability to communicate with users, team members and managers.
* A “self-starter”, able to identify issues and opportunities and ways of resolving/exploiting them.
* Ability to think and work individually and as part of a team.
* A desire for continuous improvement of individual skills and encouraging/supporting the development of others.
* Good time management.
* Adapts quickly to changing priorities and workloads.
* Thorough understanding of insurance claim processes.
* Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects.
* Broad IT skills including an excellent understanding of MS Office, Visio and Project.
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
The duties listed are not exhaustive. Additional hours of work may be required, as determined by the needs of the business. Managers and staff may be required to undertake additional duties, responsibilities and projects as appropriate.