3 months ago
Head of Regional Sales - Central (104555)
: Sales and Client Management
: UK & Ireland-United Kingdom-South Yorkshire-Sheffield
: UK & Ireland-United Kingdom-West Midlands-Birmingham, UK & Ireland-United Kingdom-West Yorkshire-Leeds
Salary : competitive
: Dec 27, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Head of Regional Sales
Location - North and Central England
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
Openreach is responsible for building and maintaining much of the country’s digital infrastructure. As the Head of one of the CNS (Customer Network Solutions) regions, you will build, lead and coach a team of skilled Customer Field Managers and be responsible for driving the marketing and community engagement strategy across the region. As this is a sales leadership role, you will deliver results through your direct reports and will also be expected to drive initiatives and share best practice across the entire CNS and SID organisation. You will also personally lead and support the larger strategic deals. The revenue and margin you and your team generate will enable the business to invest in our network and drive our strategy of better service, broader coverage and faster speeds.
As our competitors are building their own fibre access networks, Openreach is facing increasing competition. By forming strategic relationships with our communities, customers and key stakeholders, leveraging our capabilities and competing effectively for every network opportunity, we can ensure that Openreach is the infrastructure supplier of choice. Increasingly, our customers are considering using other network providers to provide infrastructure solutions in place of Openreach. You will ensure that your team is in the best position to win the largest of these opportunities by coaching and developing your people and creating the right culture of success and high performance. You will ensure that your team can proactively sell the benefits of the Openreach network, developing strategic relationships, understanding the customer’s key drivers and driving transformational change through innovative solutions.
Alongside the direct leadership of the National Team, you will be responsible for driving the CNS marketing strategy within your region and defined customer base. You will provide insight and input into the strategy that is set by the Sales General Manager and also work with the GM, Commercial Infrastructure to ensure that you influence commercial policy. You will ensure the strategy is executed in an optimal way, ensuring that accurate, timely reporting enables performance of the strategy to be measured. As well as the revenue and ebit performance of your direct reports and collective team targets, you will also be expected to drive a range of other key performance metrics and initiatives.
You and your team will deliver deals that are worth tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds in value. You will also be expected to identify deals that are more strategic, national and transformational in nature and that should be handed over to the relevant national lead. You will create an entrepreneurial culture within the team as the solutions your team offer may be through bringing together non-standard or bespoke solutions and services (via Openreach or third party partners).
What you'll be doing
You will be responsible for delivering a challenging, but achievable revenue and ebit targets as well as volumes of communities reach and THP (Total Homes Passes), by directly managing a team of customer field managers (CFMs) and driving the marketing strategy across your patch. You will formulate strategies to identify the key opportunities across your region and ensure that you and your team are building strategic relationships with key decision makers and stakeholders to position CNS infrastructure solutions and win new business. The deals will require creativity, understanding of business and community issues, good commercial understanding and the ability to deliver compelling presentations to key stakeholders. Whilst you will drive the capabilities of your team to ensure they can identify and close these opportunities, you will be expected to lead from the front and be engaged with the larger, more strategic deals. You will manage your team proactively in a high challenge, high support environment and will be expected to drive performance via various process such as performance management where appropriate.
The work we do within our communities is very high profile and may come under political or media focus. You will ensure your people are supported and will take a hands on approach and be visible in these communities. You will develop relationship with community and political leaders across your region, including MPs, local and national politicians and counsellors.
You will drive strategies to maximise the take up of various funding sources across the region. These include government funded programmes such as LFFN, better broadband schemes etc.
• Proactive – you will engage with senior key decision makers to develop long term strategic relationships that will lead to large value, contracted deals. You will coach and support your team to ensure they have a high and wide contact strategy, underpinned by PDPs and regular one to ones.
• A networker – constantly looking for opportunities to broaden your network of contacts (inside and outside the business) to generate new opportunities. You will form strong relationships with key industry players and partners to deliver new sales opportunities and close new business. You will front some of the high profile community partnership deals; particularly where these are strategic in nature or subject to high political and / or media focus.
• Accountable – for delivering your targets and delivering against the CNS and CFP marketing strategy in your region. You will also take accountability for your own personal development e.g. by keeping abreast of changing network technologies, identifying and filling skill and knowledge gaps etc.
• Knowledgeable – you will have an in-depth knowledge of the Openreach network, including Copper and Fibre (including Ethernet, FTTP, Single Fibre Network and other emerging technologies). You will also understand the National market, key competitors, funding sources, trends and segmentation and feedback insights that will inform the ongoing development of the CNS marketing strategy.
• Commercial – you will coach and develop your team to produce compelling, bespoke proposals that meet and exceed the expectations of our customers. These will often be bespoke in nature, so you will need to ensure these are profitable and deliver the expected returns to the business in terms of revenue and ebitda. You will understand the key market competitors, their strategy and approach so that you can compete effectively against them. You will support and coach your team in regards to responding to bids and ITTs in a high quality and compelling way.
• Creative – You will identify untapped needs in the marketplace and align our products, services and solutions to create new propositions. You will also identify and bring in third party suppliers and partners that enable us to combine capabilities in order to create value and strengthen / differentiate our propositions. You will landscape and segment the market to create strategies to target these proposition effectively and measure success and outcomes. You will empower your team to think creatively and challenge the status quo.
• A great communicator – You will be adept and confident at presenting at CxO level, managing third party and partner relationships and also presenting to Director level within Openreach. You will work with your team to produce a range of compelling sales and marketing collateral including case studies, direct marketing materials, presentation decks etc. You will also be comfortable in presenting in community forums and round tables.
• Customer focussed – You will create a culture in your team which puts the customer at the heart of everything we do. You will give oversight to our biggest accounts to ensure that we have an effective contact strategy that is fully optimising the opportunities available to CNS.
• Working as part of a team – you will break down any barriers between the national and regional teams to ensure that we are supporting each other and driving our collective number. You will work closely with the GM’s, their direct reports and their teams across Delivery, Customer Service and New Sites to ensure we are sharing ideas and best practice and working in a way that helps us all to achieve our objectives. You will form key relationships at senior level across Openreach to influence a range of outcomes that will enable us to respond to the market and drive our revenues.
• An agent of change – You will constantly challenge the status quo and ensure that we are responsive to our customer’s needs. You will ensure that our propositions keep us ahead of our competitors and that the CNS team is equipped to communicate this in a compelling way.
• Detailed – You will work with the Head of Operations and other key stakeholders to ensure that end to end processes and systems are aligned with our sales and marketing strategies and deliver the insights and performance metrics that will drive our business forward.
• Driven to win – by ensuring you create a winning team with a winning range of propositions. You will nurture talent, manage performance and develop a succession plan for your team. You will also drive a strategy which moves CNS to deliver more of its revenue in the contestable space.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
• Sales leadership - you will have an excellent sales record with many years’ experience of B2B sales / leading a B2B sales team. You will have a record of consistently hitting your revenue and ebit targets and a number of reference clients where you have closed high value deals.
• Leadership & Management – you will have a number of years’ experience in managing high performing teams. You will be a great coach and lead from the front. You will implement strategies to drive your team’s “Your Say” results.
• Sales Skills – you will possess a wide range of highly honed sales skills and capabilities including excellent presentation skills, questioning technique, objection handling, negotiation skills and the ability to gain the client’s confidence and close major deals. You will be expected to provide accurate sales, revenue and ebit forecasts and be responsible for driving your revenue pipeline via excellent opportunity management, landscaping, prospecting and closed sales.
• Business acumen – you will be highly skilled at discussing business issues and tailoring a bespoke solution to meet those needs to ensure profitable and predictable revenue for the business. You will be able to demonstrate success in the negotiation and running of deals in-life and how these have been delivered within their forecasted P&L and in line with best industry practice. You will ensure you and your team are able to explain any variances to budget and propose strategies to get them back to forecast.
• Financial – you will be able to demonstrate that deals you and your team have managed previously have been profitable and that financial risks were understood and mitigated. You will have a good understanding of P&L, revenue and ebit drivers and ensure that all deals meet the relevant profitability thresholds.
• Network / Engineering – you will have a good understanding of Copper and Fibre networks (Including Ethernet, FTTP, Single Fibre Network) and will keep abreast of new and emerging technologies to ensure you are able to leverage the full range of Openreach network capability. You will understand how the Openreach network is planned and delivered. You will also form relationships with a range of third parties and partners and keep abreast of emerging technologies and market trends that might help to drive sales and revenues.
• Marketing – you may have experience in the marketing arena and will take personal responsibility in ensuring you develop capabilities in this area. You will input into the formulation of the CNS marketing strategy and will be the key driver in executing it within your region, measuring performance and reporting up.
• Technical – you will have a good understanding of FTTP, network in advance (NIA), resilience options, wifi plan and build, passive optical networks (PON), data cabling and other technology and solutions that may become part of the CNS portfolio. You will have an excellent knowledge of a range of partner solutions and technologies that can be leveraged to build highly bespoke, transformational solutions.
• Integrity – you will understand that Openreach is a highly regulated business and ensure that we act ethically, equivalently and in line with any undertakings we make to the government and any regulatory bodies such as Ofcom. You will ensure the correct governance is followed in regards to pre-deal/contract sign-off and in-life deal/contract management. As your team’s deals/contracts will often be bespoke or non-standard, you will ensure they are fully compliant with all legal and regulatory requirements.
• You will require a full driving licence and will be expected to spend the majority of your time engaged in customer facing activity.
• Overnight stays, meetings and travel outside of standard office hours will be required.