10 months ago
Finance Manager, HQ Business Partner (105892)
: UK & Ireland-United Kingdom-London
Salary : Competitive
: Feb 2, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Manager - HQ Finance Business Partner (D-Level)
Manager - HQ Units Business Partner
Kelvin House, 123 Judd Street, London or Leeds, Bristol, Ipswich, Birmingham or Newcastle
Full time highly desirable
Job role/ grade
D Level – Manager
Reports to (role)
Why this role matters
Openreach, part of BT Group, provides the capability for over 500 Communications Providers to provide service, broadband and data services to consumers and businesses across the UK. Our network covers 30 million customers and 8 million broadband lines from approximately 5,500 local exchanges. Openreach is at the heart of Britain’s drive to be a world leader in the internet economy. Broadband connections have become a necessity to customers at home and at work and the demands of our infrastructure reflect that importance. Through us, millions of individuals connect to friends and family and have a wealth of information and entertainment at their fingertips. For small local businesses, right through to large multinationals, we help companies to work better and compete effectively in global markets. We are also the backbone for essential public services to be delivered and help national and regional economies grow. Having a fast internet connection has never been more important.
When we get it right we change people’s lives; having empathy with customers whether at home or in the office will help us deliver our priorities and also enable us to play our part in supporting BT’s overall purpose, to use the power of communications to make a better world.
We need leaders who will size the growth opportunity on offer, to transform the cost base and the way in which we operate to ensure slicker delivery, faster throughput of work on our contracts, a more reliable and predictable delivery on time and a better customer experience for our customers and their customers.
· A financial business partnering role within Openreach Central Finance, reporting to C Level.
· Openreach has Revenue of c. £5bn, Opex of c. £1.3bn, and will consume capital expenditure of c. £1.9bn. HQ units are the central functions running the business of Legal, HR, Finance, L&D, Comms
· The role holder will demonstrate strong control and analytical thinking, and have overall responsibility and accountability for financial forecasting, planning, reporting actuals, management accounts and analysis of the HQ units.
· Accountable for leading the budgetary and financial control activities on behalf of the HQ units.
· Role holder will need to drive best practice across the business, whilst fostering and enabling an entrepreneurial flair and local ownership.
· Will operate in a highly complex environment with high risk (potential financial or commercial impact, business unit/LOB level visibility, potential reputational impact)
What I’ll be doing
The D Level HQ Business Partner will be responsible for business partnering at MD Level, specifically accountable for:
· Supporting the implementation of the Openreach strategy for by providing insight and key reports
· Business partner with HQ units to provide financial insight and inform strategic decision making
· Improve understanding and impact of financial reporting on performance of the HQ units
· Steward, lead and partner with the business, to ensure all business activities are carried out in accordance with, and in the spirit of, local legislative requirements, and enhance and protect BT for now and the future
· Financial accountability, control and stewardship of HQ units cost base
· Assurance and risk management – role holder expected to control risks and opportunities across HQ units, actively mitigating risks and driving opportunities
· Driving creation of quarterly forecasts and annual budget
· Responsible for control on key business risks and controls in the business.
· Manage and run the month-end process for HQ units.
· Improving the impact, and understanding, of financial reporting on business performance
· Leading for Openreach on overall analysis of TLC/TLR
The skills & experience you need
Specific skills and experience includes:
· Experience of positively influencing business performance by using data, commentary and analysis to inform decision making.
· A true customer champion, with an ability to truly influence customer experience, demonstrating real customer empathy in everything they do
· Strategic thinker with proven experience driving daily concepts to deliver longer term vision with the ability to cut through barriers to bring real clarity and focus to delivering for our customers
· Pragmatic team player, adept at holding others to account through a challenging and supportive leadership style, whilst consistently delivering on their own commitments
· An ability to matrix-manage cross-business teams to complex and multi-phase solutions (across technology, commercial, product and process design, network design and build).
· Advisor and coach to others both within own team and elsewhere, formulates their operational guidelines or in-depth knowledge and advises on specialist area
· Financial authority on new business opportunities and investments. Personally accountable for all business unit costs/revenue performance and business results
· Drives judicious use of resources to maximise productivity and drive cost efficiency and instrumental in driving expansion of margins
· Sponsors/guides the planning, facilitation and completion local finance programmes
· Sets agendas, identifies opportunities and promotes the highest standards of best practice and provides insight on finance work area(s) or specialism
Data Management and Analysis
Business Case Development
Budgeting and Cost Management
· Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (or equivalent experience)
· Fully qualified accountant / Further qualification to support specialism with significant PQE (.e.g. CIMA, ACCA, IIA, CISA, ACT, CTA, MCT, IR Society Certificate or equivalent)
* Customer champion
* Bold decision maker
* Solution-focused achiever
* Team coach
* Inspiring communicator
* Change agent
* Collaborative partner
* Commercial thinker
These are our values, they show us the right thing to do
We are all connected by our shared values; Personal, Simple and Brilliant. How we do things is just as important as what we do.
Everyone should be guided by our values. If you are leader, you will need to understand and demonstrate the Connected Leaders behaviours which you can find on the BT Intranet.
Other things you need to know
To protect yourself, your colleagues, our customers and BT, you must follow:
· Our ethics code, The Way We Work;
· The Undertakings code of practice (which contains important rules about BT's promises to Ofcom);
· Our regulatory, fair trading, competition, data protection, environmental and anti-corruption and bribery policies;
· Our security policies;
· Our standards of behaviour policy;
· Our health and safety policy; and
· BT Business continuity management policy framework directive.
You have an important role in maintaining customer trust and helping BT to do business with integrity. Because working ethically is so important you must follow all laws and BT policies and procedures in the course of your employment. If you have any questions or are unclear on what any of our policies mean, just talk to your manager.
You can find all our policies and procedures on the BT intranet (or from your manager) – it’s up to you to keep up to date with them, including your mandatory training, and ensure you fully understand what they mean for you in your day-to-day work. If you don’t do this or if you breach any of our policies, you could face disciplinary action, or even dismissal.
If you’re a people manager you need to be aware of the expectations for managers. You can find these on the Connected Leaders site.
5 Key Skills
Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (or equivalent experience)
Fully qualified accountant / Further qualification to support specialism with significant PQE (.e.g. CIMA, ACCA, IIA, CISA, ACT, CTA, MCT, IR Society Certificate or equivalent)
Experience of positively influencing business performance by using data, commentary and analysis to inform decision making.
Financial authority on new business opportunities and investments. Personally accountable for all business unit costs/revenue performance and business results
Strategic thinker with proven experience driving daily concepts to deliver longer term vision with the ability to cut through barriers to bring real clarity and focus to delivering for our customers