12 months ago
The Economist Group logo
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
With a growing global circulation and a reputation for insightful analysis and opinion on every aspect of world events, The Economist is one of the most widely recognised and well-read current affairs publications in the world.
Our Events business is focused on developing and delivering content for the ‘ideas people’ who are creating value in the global economy. Convened around subjects like finance and economics to innovation and the role of corporations in society, Economist Events delivers a mix of live & virtual events which further The Economist’s brand vision - to lead the debate in pursuit of progress.
We are currently seeking a Business Accountant to support the EMEA region of this growing business. This role is based in London and will take on responsibility for accurate and timely accounting and reporting. The major focus of this role will be managing the revenue and direct costs of these businesses, working with the finance team at large to improve processes, and efficiencies globally.
The role would suit a newly qualified accountant from business, or a part-qualified accountant with relevant experience. The Economist Group offers study support to part-qualified staff.
In this role you would be expected to:
* Manage the month end accounting
* Prepare accurate balance sheet reconciliations across the areas of responsibility, including those EMEA based divisions sitting in other global statutory entities
* Manage the EMEA Events tracker, supporting the Global Head of Events & Global Finance Analyst – Events in preparing for monthly forecast and tracker meetings
* Supporting the events operations team with cost and margin management, including reviewing and updating cost workbooks regularly
* Provide written commentary and monthly variance analysis on the key areas of focus as well as working with the global business to monitor and review KPIs
* Produce weekly delegate sales reporting and distribute to key members of the senior Events team
* Work with the businesses and finance team as appropriate, on preparing the annual budget and monthly forecasts
* Calculate commission payments for the events sales team and send monthly commission statements
* Resolve queries where necessary from the business team members, directors and senior management regarding trends and variances on revenues and costs
* Conduct ad-hoc analyses and financial modeling as requested
* Liaise with the auditors during their annual accounts review
* Helping the Financial Controller to develop and implement new processes and systems to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the finance function
* Take role of Project Manager on specific projects where necessary
Experience, skills and professional attributes
To succeed in the role you must have:
* Strong school academics and degree educated. BA/BS in Finance or Accounting preferred
* Professional Accounting Qualification (ACCA, CIMA, ACA or equivalent), or part-qualified finalist
* Solid management accounting experience, closing the month end accounts, preparing management reporting packs with variance analysis and reconciling balance sheet accounts
* Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel including SUMIFS, VLOOKUPS, Pivot Tables, Charts
* Experience using PeopleSoft or another accounting package
* The ability to work effectively with people at different levels inside and outside the division
* Good communication skills, both orally and in writing
* Experience of accounting for an events business would be a significant advantage. Experience of calculating commissions and dealing with sales people would be helpful
* Experience of using SalesForce and QlikView would be an advantage
You will be able to demonstrate:
* The ability to work under tight deadlines within a changing business culture
* Strong emphasis on detail, quality and accuracy
* That you are motivatated by change
* That you would be prepared to take action for their responsibilities and take on more responsibility over time
* Clear thinking, practical, resilient and persuasive
* That you are a clear and confident communicator
* The ability to use business knowledge to sense-check numbers produced in the accounts
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
* Discretion with access to sensitive information
* A track record as a good team player, willing to be flexible and committed to the success of the team as a whole
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.