4 months ago
O2 is the commercial brand of Telefónica UK Limited, a leading digital communications company owned by Telefónica S.A.
With over 25 million customers across the UK, O2 is one of the world’s most innovative companies putting our customers at the heart of everything we do.
We are much more than just a network. We open up the endless possibilities of technology, connecting our customers to the things that they love and exploring new ways to open up the world for them.
We are always on the lookout for great talent.
Just like our customers, we offer our employees more. From a choice of benefits, rewards, training and ongoing career development there are many reasons to join O2.
About the team
We are transforming our business by putting data driven insight at the heart of everything we do.
The Data Science Team, sitting in the Analytics team in our Data, Insights & Analytics function, creates new capabilities to make faster and better decisions and finds actionable opportunities within our wealth of data, particularly building out our AI and Machine Learning capabilities working in collaboration with other areas of the business.
We have c.20m customers and a wealth of structured and unstructured data including (but not limited to):
* Transactions and billing,
* Detailed customer call records (millions per day)
* Usage of our loyalty programme (million per month)
* Geographical data (millions of points per day)
* Profitability of each customer
* Network usage
You will have the opportunity of heading a growing team working on some challenging and fascinating problems in a data rich environment.
The Data Science Team is an important part of our newly defined Data & Analytics Strategy, driving data to the core of O2 to ensure right time insights to empower our leaders and our business to make better and quicker decisions.
About the role
The Data Science Manager is part of the Analytics leadership team, responsible for providing thought leadership and services that enable the improvement of decision taking across the organisation, working alongside our Accelerate O2 business transformation programme which aims to radically transform our customers’ experience and make it simpler for our people to collaborate and do their job.
Enthusiastic and energised about data, working as part of a team you will extract particularly powerful empirical insights from internal and external datasets, identifying and creating opportunities or new capabilities that deliver growth or cost reduction. You will present approaches and findings to senior stakeholders and work with engineers to implement industrially robust ways to integrate the work into a production environment for the benefit of internal users and our external customers.
You will maintain good relationships will stakeholders from around the business, and seek out new ideas, keeping up to date with data science advancements in the marketplace. You will lead a growing team of c10 data scientists at the heart of our business, developing our capability in this space.
* Working with stakeholders and within the Data Science team and our Innovation Lab, lead on creation of capabilities / models and capitalise on opportunities through the exploitation of internal and external data using advanced techniques such as Machine Learning
* Work closely with IT and our Accelerate O2 programme to leverage requirements for data, access and toolsets, and ensuring Data Science Algorithms/Models are embedded into industrial strength solutions that can be used by hundreds of users, and external customers
* Build deep knowledge of our Group (Telefonica in Spain) capabilities and exploitation thereof. Working closely with the equivalent data scientists in Group to build next generation models to power Aura in the UK, our artificial intelligence system, and further exploit our Group built analytics capability called 4th Platform which enables a common set of technical capabilities and data frameworks in every country.
* Build a deep understanding of the business issues to be solved and frame the ‘right’ questions to be addressed.
* Accountability for the data science roadmap, carry out analyses and drive clear recommendations and action plans and measure outcomes. Present plans and outcomes to senior management to ensure buy-in and on-going support
* Leading a team of data scientists, developing skills and capabilities as the function and accountabilities grow
* Maintain and “outside-in” view of big data and data science to ensure we are benefiting from new and cutting edge advancements
* Passionate about data science and analytics and the value that can be created through information exploitation
* Technically brilliant, using some or all of Hadoop / Python / SAS and willing to learn others
* Several years of experience with various machine learning and other pattern recognition techniques e.g. NLP and knowledge of AI integration
* A track record in being able to spot opportunities and drive them though to delivery
* Ability to work simultaneously across a number of analytical projects, managing your own time and projects to deliver results
* An ability to talk to people at all levels of the business, including Board level, and make the complex, simple
* A good knowledge of Visualisation methods / tools e.g. Tableau, Microstrategy
* Line management experience is essential
Resourcing Business Partner: Ellen Stone
Salary and benefits:
We are looking to pay a competitive salary (depending on experience) for this position, and in addition we have some great benefits that could include a bonus, life cover, health care, holiday entitlement and lots of flexible benefits too.
Telefonica`s commitment to a great work-life balance allows us to consider flexible approaches to working. Like to know more? Feel free to raise it.
Joining Telefonica means opening up a world of freedom, support and possibility. A fascinating world where you`ll be able to think bigger, be bolder and try new things. And where there are endless opportunities to develop your career.
There`s so much to discover. Your adventure starts here.