2 months ago
About the Role
We’re currently looking for Buyers to join our fast paced and dynamic Home team where you’ll be responsible for creating and promoting a range of products for each season, in order to achieve sales, stock and margin targets for the relevant department.
* Co-ordinate both the look and style of the full range of the department, working with the Designer to agree on both mood and story boards for translation into product.
* Establish and maintain good relationships with existing and potential suppliers, attending trade shows, buying trips and competitor shopping trips as and when required.
* Work closely with Merchandising to propose ranges/products for marketing campaigns and events, including ‘The Show’, following the key looks driven by Marketing.
* Prepare and present to Heads of department and Directors at range selection and sign off meetings.
* Plan product launches in line with divisional launch dates and ensure the ranges land on time by effectively managing the junior team and critical path.
* Manage and develop a team of Junior, Assistant and Trainee Buyers, setting and managing objectives alongside day to day distribution of workload.
* Negotiate costs with supply base on new and core products to meet BIM requirements.
* Create the strategy for the department alongside the Merchandising team to fit in with divisional KPIs.
We've currently 2 roles available:
* Bed & Bath Buyer (permanent)
* Lighting & Furniture Buyer (maternity leave)
* Proven experience in a Junior Buyer or Buyer role, within Home retail
* Experience in both homeware and textiles would be beneficial
* Knowledge of current Homeware market and trends
* Ability to think commercially and strategically
* Able to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels
* Ability to demonstrate strong leadership and coaching skills
* High level of personal effectiveness
In return you’ll become an integral part of the Matalan family, receiving a full 360 induction to our business with exposure to Senior Leaders across the business from day one. You’ll have access to our extensive development opportunities to support your growth along with our excellent benefits package including a generous holiday allowance, pension, healthcare and the opportunity to earn bonus as recognition of your contribution to the business.
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is a family retail business that is proud to serve its customer excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, collaborative, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Your place in our world
Head of Buying
Junior, Assistant & Trainee Buyers