3 months ago
At Saga, our people are our business. Within our travel and cruise businesses we believe that if you are going to do it, do it properly. That is why we offer opportunities that match our vision, to inspire and enable possibilities.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Buyer within Saga Cruises in Southampton. The overall purpose of the role is to support the procurement of goods and services across multiple categories as part of Owner Supply procurement for our new ships, Spirit of Discover and Spirit of Adventure.
The Buyer will interpret and translate operational requirement into strong commercial documents ready for tender. The role will undertake tendering and contracting activity and lead procurement projects on behalf of New Build in support of the Asset Manager.
The successful candidate for this position has experience in the shipping industry and a strong understanding of supply chain management practices.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
This is a fixed term contract position until June/July 2019.
* Responsible for the purchasing process from the point of sourcing against a definition of need through to confirmation of delivery and supplier payment
* Prepare, issue and evaluate tenders and other procurement documentation
* Work with Asset Manager, Purchasing Manager and Assistant Purchasing Manager to ensure a consolidated approach to sourcing strategies across the supply chain
* Sourcing appropriate suppliers and products
* Act as liaison between suppliers and Saga operational and new build subject matter experts relating to commercial supply matters
* Through good procurement practice achieve cost and efficiency savings
* Negotiate best value goods and service agreements taking into consideration total cost of ownership
* Conduct and manage supplier meetings where appropriate in support of operational objectives
* Ensure quality, price and logistics are consistent with business needs
* Ensure timely and efficient provision of goods and services through effective task planning and frequent communication with suppliers
* Identify opportunities to drive improvements to service, value or innovation to Saga Cruises operating model
* Ensure that updates to the purchasing system are accurate and timely
* Manage logistics for goods in the most efficient and cost effective manner (appropriate to the immediacy of requirement, value and nature of the goods)
* Ensure effective cost control & budget management
* To provide clear and concise reporting to management
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, knowledge and experience:
* Previous commercial experience within the Marine environment
* Previous experience of ship new build and / or refurbishments
* Strong negotiation skills
* A natural problem solver with an understanding of leveraging operating efficiencies
* Strong analytical skills
* Strong process orientation
* Concise and influential communicator, able to discuss issues with clarity and credibility
* Experience / knowledge of working with purchasing systems and processes
* Up to date MS-Office skills, in particular Excel
Education and qualifications:
* Educated to A level standard
* CIPS qualified and/or equivalent practical experience
* Self motivated and ready for a challenge
* Highly organised and able to work on own initiative
* Skilled communicator
* Exceptional planning and organisational skills
* Flexible in approach and receptive to change
* Ability to work well in a diverse team environment
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
* 28 days holiday
* Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
* Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
* AXA Be Supported
* Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
* Free fruit
* Give as you earn
* Free eye tests
* Honeymoon benefit
* Salary finance
* Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
* A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
* Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc Interim results for the six months ended 31st July 2018
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.