10 months ago
Business Development Manager- World Ocean Initiative
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist Events is the leading provider of international forums for senior executives seeking new insights into strategic issues. These meetings include industry conferences, management events and government roundtables held around the world. Each meeting organised by the events teams delivers objective and informed analysis. Meetings provide unusually high-level forums where senior executives can gain insights, exchange views and compare strategies.
We are recruiting a Business Development Manager position to grow sponsorship revenue from a portfolio of scheduled, multi-sponsor events and custom events in our EMEA and Americas regions, with a specific focus on the Economist's World Ocean Summit . We are seeking a seasoned event sales expert to:
* Manage the entire business development process (prospect, qualify, proposal, negotiate and close) and work effectively with other functions across The Economist Group, particularly with the team responsible for running The Economist Group's World Ocean Initiative.
* Maintain personal responsibility and maximise revenue for a defined portfolio
* Grow a new client portfolio
* Support the sponsorship delivery process
In the role you will be expected to:
* Report into an Economist Events sales manager, with a dotted line into the SVP of the World Ocean Initiative.
* Achieve and exceed the revenue target on a consistent basis
* Produce accurate and regular sales forecasts for the personal territory
* Take responsibility for the creation, development and execution of new products
* Build relationships with clients to maximise revenue opportunities and grow future business
* Sell sponsorship on the full range of our event products, including custom, multi-sponsor and virtual events
* Construct and send necessary proposals, pricing, and contracts
* Work effectively with a cross functional team, including event programming, thought leadership sales, marketing, advertising sales and other group divisions
* Deliver a minimum of 30 substantive sales conversations per month
* Act as account manager in the sponsorship delivery process and ensure a smooth and high-quality customer experience before and at the events
Experience, skills and professional attributes
To succeed in the role you must have:
* University degree in a business related discipline, or equivalent business qualification
* Proven experience selling event sponsorship. A history of selling sponsorships on events with an environmental focus is a plus.
* Experience presenting to and negotiating with senior decision makers of large multi-national corporations
* Knowledge of events and sponsorship industry
* Familiarity with editorial processes
* Good understanding of international business and current affairs
* Strong account and project management skills
To succeed in this role you will be able to demonstrate:
* Excellent organisational and time management skills
* Strong communication and negotiation skills; confident and professional manner
* Highly motivated, reliable, organized, driven and a problem solver
* A good team player and a willingness to travel
* Fluency in English and a fluency or business competence in Spanish and/or Portuguese preferred
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.