3 months ago
Accountant / Finance Analyst - BT Property (103473)
: UK & Ireland-United Kingdom-Avon-Bristol
Salary : Competitive
: Feb 2, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
The role itself sits within the BT Property Finance team whose aim is to help drive great business performance by providing a best in class financial service to support our customers.
The Property team are responsible for the provision of the Property Strategy and Facilities Management services to the BT Group. The team manage a property portfolio of c. 8,000 buildings across the globe, supporting over 100,000 colleagues. They also manage one of the UK’s largest Property sale and lease back agreements covering the bulk of the BT UK property portfolio to Land Securities as well as significant Facilities Management Contracts.
They work closely with other BT lines of business to represent BT’s interest in all aspects of Property ensuring that maximum value is derived from these contracts on behalf of BT and also adding value by seeking opportunities for cost transformation and quality improvements, whilst meeting all of BT’s operational requirements.
What you'll be doing
• Assisting with the full preparation of monthly financial accounts for the Property UK Team including P&L (annual costs c. £600m), Balance Sheet, Working Capital and Provision accounting.
• Production of key monthly Financial Reports. Ensuring the integrity of the financial accounts and compliance with appropriate accounting standards.
• Production of monthly accruals / prepayments, preparation and processing of journals.
• Provision of accurate, clear, consistent, timely and customer focussed management information as required.
• Responsible for several Property key P&L cost lines and assist wider team with other cost lines.
• Managing and tracking of actual expenditure against budget and forecasts.
• Production of variance analysis reports and commentaries to explain monthly financial performance. Providing real business insight and initiation of action to help with the control and understanding of costs.
• Assist with forecasting and business planning e.g. Budgets, Outlooks and input into Risks & Opportunity reviews, as required for key cost lines covering both P&L and Working Capital.
• Lead Role for the Balance Sheet (Total Assets c. £500m) and Working Capital Reporting, Forecasting and variance analysis. Assist with Asset and AICC Reviews, Vat and Tax Returns.
• Assist with the requirements of Provision Accounting (c£250m).
• Preparation of Statutory Accounts for Property subsidiaries and Year end Statutory Reporting. Interface with the Central subsidiary team.
• Liaise with Auditors, Group, Tax and Suppliers as part of one virtual team. Oversee output of Offshore Team.
• Support the provision of a full financial and management accounting service e.g. day to day support to the Property team and Other Finance Teams.
• Complete Ad hoc projects, reviews and deal with queries (e.g. ad hoc payments and receipts).
• Maintain financial processes for Property to ensure Sarbox s404 compliant. Identify and resolve weaknesses in the control process.
• To develop and continually improve financial and operating processes to help drive the efficiency of the Property business and Finance where necessary. To assist with the change programme in support of various project efficiency initiatives including system developments (e.g.Hyperion Essbase).
If you enjoy variety, having ownership of an end to end process, like making a difference and wish to develop your accounting knowledge then this may be the role for you.
The role is based in St. Clements House, Bristol 5 days a week. There is occasional travel to London and other locations (maximum once a month). Any candidate must be flexible on working hours at peak month end and forecast times.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
• Fully or Recently Qualified Accountant with relevant finance experience.
• Strong Financial & Management Accounting Skills with knowledge of accounting standards and an ability to deal with technical accounting.
• Experience of Financial Analysis & Management Reporting in a large organisation. Excellent analytical skills, an enquiring mind and attention to detail.
• Experience of Month End Processes and Timetables
• Very good Microsoft Office skills (i.e. Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.). Ability to manage data quickly and accurately with excellent advanced excel spreadsheet skills (e.g. lookups, pivots etc.) and to summarise findings in a meaningful, simple and succinct manner.
• A good general aptitude for finance systems and preferably knowledge of systems (e.g. Hyperion Essbase).
• An ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision and demonstrate flexibility as and when required to ensure deadlines achieved.
• Ability to build strong trusting relationships with Stakeholders, Finance colleagues and across the wider business both within and outside the UK as well as with external Business Partners.
• Good planning and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise to ensure that customer requirements are met.
• Good communication, customer and interpersonal skills. A good team player (working as part of a small team), enthusiastic and flexible.
• Proven ability to self-manage and to drive developments in work areas forward. Ability to not only follow but also to think outside of standard documented processes.
• A committed “can-do” proactive approach to problem solving. Able to cope with changing demands and priorities.