6 months ago
Senior Business Development Manager
As the research and analysis division of the Economist Group, The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) helps leaders to prepare for opportunity, empowering them to act with confidence when making strategic decisions. The EIU is the global standard in providing high quality, actionable intelligence to the public and private sector, assessing issues that affect the marketplace for over two hundred countries.
The EIU Consumer consulting practice is part of the strategic advisory unit of the EIU, providing tailored engagements to meet the needs of clients across the consumer facing industries. Our evidence-based business analytics and strategy solutions draw on our strengths in forecasting, cross-country analysis, policy, politics and macroeconomics, and typical engagements include market entry analyses, identification of competitive opportunities and market sizing assessments of operational and financial risks to business, and geopolitical/macroeconomic scenarios.
We are recruiting a Senior Business Development Manager to manage our business development efforts in the United Kingdom and Europe. The candidate will be expected to work closely with other members of the EIU Consumer team, experts elsewhere in the EIU, and to have experience in selling complex data, research and analytics solutions to a senior audience. The key performance metric for this position is the number and value of new consulting, advisory or analysis engagements bought in.
The ideal candidate will have experience across the full consulting project life-cycle, including direct business development and ongoing client relationship management although the role will not have responsibilities for project management or execution.
In this role you would be expected to:
* Work with the Commercial director and other stakeholders to develop and implement a sales plan for the region
* Exceed personal revenue targets while helping the team achieve overall goals
* Manage client relationships to develop integrated/on-going advisory engagements and increase the likelihood of repeat business
* Work closely with colleagues to develop new methodologies and initiatives, and create impactful collateral that presents the EIU value proposition effectively
* Conduct business development activities, including identifying and presenting to potential new clients, scoping client requirements accurately, and developing high-impact proposals and pitches
* Develop opportunities by interpreting client needs into potential strategic advisory projects, and transforming cold leads into sustained client relationships
* Leverage reporting tools in Salesforce, providing accurate perspective of current pipeline and overall activity
Experience, skills and professional attributes
To succeed in the role you must have:
* Sustained experience of developing, selling and delivering strategic advisory/consulting projects/customised research to senior executives within corporations
* Proven business development and revenue generation success; sector specialisation (i.e. consumer goods & retail) preferred. Experience with cold/greenfield client cultivation strongly preferred
* Demonstrated expertise in subject-matter domain(s) relevant to EIU clients
* Demonstrated success in identifying, initiating and nurturing new and ongoing business opportunities
* An account management and/ or customer success background
To succeed in this role you will be able to demonstrate:
* An ability and desire to be a strategic thinker and operate comfortably in a complex business environment
* A strongly developed analytical mindset
* An ability to sell complex research solutions to a wide range of organisations
* Polished communication and presentation skills, and relish building client relationships
* An interest in, and knowledge of, business issues, global affairs, economics and public policy issues
* An ability to conduct consultative discussions at a senior level
* An ability to articulate complex research solutions
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.